Saturday, April 4, 2009

Redbelt.

Watched Redbelt Thursday night. It was terrible. This is not the opinion of a jiu-jitsu practitioner who is nit picking the details. The jiu-jitsu in the movie was of varying quality (some of it quite good), but the plot of the movie was convoluted, the characters grand stand and never develop. The ending is abrupt and doesn't resolve anything. It's a bad movie.

I took thursday off because with the wife out of town Sunday will be pretty boring if I don't get some exercise.

Friday I was in Portland all day for work. 12 hours and no real break to get food. I was beat going into the Friday fun training session.
Good work by every one, especially Joe.
My work:
10x deadlift at 275
push the prowler down and back (plate and a quarter each side)
x5 no rest.
Just brutal.

Today got to class early and rolled no-gi with Paul for about 30 minutes.
We worked on a cool half guard sweep. I need to work on it more, but I think it will help me a lot.
I talked to Micah a bit about some philosophy of jiu-jitsu, and a couple of attacks from side control. A choke, and an arm-bar transition that I keep missing. I rolled with erik for a good while. I felt pretty good about it. I got some positions on him, but he caught me in a triangle, and a knee bar. It happens.
I feel pretty good about my game. The game is simplifying. It used to be that there were positions, separate boxes: side control, guard, half-guard, mount. Even at first each type of guard was a different box: spider guard, butterfly guard, X guard.. whatever. Then I put them all in one box: guard. Slowly those other positions are melding into bigger boxes: defending, attacking, tie. The idea is that those boxes will eventually merge into one: jiu-jitsu. I don't know how long that will take, but I'm looking forward to the journey.
Tomorrow I am going to do some conditioning and having a bbq.
let me know if you want to come.
Mahalo.

No comments: