Thursday, February 12, 2009

ah, L'amore...

A little anecdote in honor of St. Valentine's day:

About 150 years ago when I was a single guy living in St. Louis I met a young female. We went out on a few dates. As I have previously mentioned I am not the suavest of fellows at the best of times, and this particular series of dates may be me at my least suave. We went out, did fun stuff. Got on well with each others friends... but we never really got going.
I was awkward and shy, and she was not impressed.
After she didn't return a couple calls, I just decided I'd blown it. Pity. move on with my life.
I dropped her an email that said:
"I have noticed that you are not returning my calls. I assume that means you no longer interested in a relationship with me. That's really too bad, but I've had a lot of fun hanging out with you. Give me a call sometime if you want to hang out as friends."
I didn't expect that she'd even reply, but figured at worst it would be an acknowledgment of the "end" or whatever. Again, a few dates no big deal.
A few minutes later, she replies:
"Sorry about that, let's meet up after work for drinks and to talk."
Weird.. ok.
We agree on a time and place, next door to her work, and down the street from my house.
I show up, and she's there.
We get a table.
I order an orange juice, she orders a mixed drink.
I figured we were just going to hang out.
She looks nervous.
She says "I guess you've noticed that I haven't returned your calls..."
I reply "Yeah. I understand. I just didn't want to.. well I still wanted to be friends. So I figured I extend an olive branch. No hard feelings. We had fun together so if you want can still hang out."
She seems confused.
she says "I like you a lot. We have similar taste in music, I think you're funny, but I just don't feel... "
Long pause here.
"I just don't think we're going to work out."
"I understand."
"But I still want to be friends."
"ok good. I hoped if I let you know that I got the picture that we were no longer dating, It would take the pressure off and we could hang out."
more confusion..
"Right?"
"ok, great!"
Then I turned the conversation to stuff about her work, and some mutual friends.
We talked for a while, finish our beverages.
She says "I'm really glad we got a chance to talk. This has been bothering me."
She hugs me, and we went our merry way.
I never heard from her again.

So gentle reader.. The thing that bothers me to this day (150 years later):
Why did she contact me. Arrange a meeting. Formally break up with me, and THEN never speak to me again?
Wouldn't it have been easier to delete my email and save both our time and me from buying a $6 glass of o.j.?
Honestly.
People are crazy.
This site reminded me of this story (not particularly SFW).
Happy Valentine's!

1 comment:

Tristan said...

Hey dood

i was searching for pic of a pl to pin on my fridge. I couldn't find one. Eventually i punched in 'Dave Tate' Hit images in google. His in a rack doing presses, sick. Which bought me to your site. I really like how you're combining strength training with BJJ.

As for the girl: I've seen girls have guys on a string for months... years even. Why? It makes them feel good about themselves. She obviously saw you as a decent guy, and wanted to be honest with you.