Wednesday, November 25, 2009

December.

Many years ago I realized that trying to diet down in December just doesn't work for me. I have a hard time getting 'up' for conditioning workouts, it's crappy out, holiday parties all over the place, lots of distractions. it's just not good for me. So this year I'm going to work on some hypertrophy this December. More training frequency will hopefully keep the fattness away, I can pare down my workouts to shorter sessions, and it's easier mentally for me to get to the gym to lift. the plan is as follows:

Mondays:
day:
accessory work: rows, chins/dips (superset) then some prehab and gun show work (cut me some slack I haven't done any dedicated upper extremity work in 5 years.. yes, I have training logs that go back that far.. no, I don't see that as an indicator of psychosis.)
all in the 8-12 rep range.

Night: jiu-jitsu

tuesdays:
Day: upper body 5/3/1 alternating weeks OHP and bench.
Night: lax ball and static stretching.

Wednesdays:
jiu-jitsu

Thursdays:
Day: lower body 5/3/1 alternating weeks deadlift and split squat. (my single leg strength sucks, I need to fix that)
Night: lax ball and static stretching.

Friday:
conditioning.

Saturday:
Day: jiu-jitsu
night: accessory lift.

Sunday: off or recovery work.

My 5/3/1 sessions will look like this:
main lift:
set 1
set 2
set 3
repeat set 1 2x (approximately I'm not busting out the chips and nickles for these)

chins and rows on upper days.
Hip extensions and glute-hams on lower days.
(I'm intrigued by the hip extensions.. we'll see how well they work, at least in this context)

Mahalo.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Looking forward to your hip extension commentary. The near future may see more of such lifts in my training plan.