Friday, October 24, 2008

Doing what I need to do more.

If you suck at something, it means you need to do it more.
-people.. smart people

last night was all about cleaning up my weak points:

warm-up.

Jump squats:
5x3 haven't done these in a while. I need to get more explosive.

Reverse lunges off a 6" box:
5x3/3 at 135
Man do I suck at these. My single leg strength is terrible. My feet hate lunging. I have a history of plantar fasciitis and turf toe on both feet. It's better since I've stopped spending 8-10 hours a week in cleats, and started wearing less supportive footwear, but my toes hate lunges. Still, got to take your medicine.

Pull ups:
6x5 @ bw

Overhead rack lockouts from just over head:
worked up to 3@ 185
then 5x1
Haven't done any heavy overhead pressing in... 4 years or so since my rotator cuff repair. So I wanted to feel this out a bit, see how my shoulder responded. Which, I'm glad to say is fine. So there will be more of this.

standing cable rows:
4x8 @ stack+10

bb curls:
3x5 @ 60
After Tony and Brian from CP took me to the gun show last week I have begrudingly decided that I need to add some direct biceps work to help my vertical pulling strength. I am such a tool.

Tabata sprints on the ergometer:
8x 20 on 10 off.

lay on the floor and pant:
1x5 min

As I was leaving the top floor (ergometers, step-mills, aerobics and ladies lingere) a gym staffer was headed down the stairs behind me. I jokingly said "I can stop and you can go around me, or bear with me, but I ain't goin' any faster." She laughed, and asked "What were you doing?"
"Tabata intervals on the ergometer." I replied
She blinked. "huh."
"Japanese exercise scientists discovered that you can train the aerobic and anaerobic pathways at the same time if you do 20 seconds of work at 170% of VO2 max followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times."
Blink... "well it seems to be working for you."
"Uh.. Thanks? I gotta go."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it HILARIOUS you actually said something like,
"Japanese exercise scientists discovered you can train the aerobic and anaerobic pathways at the same time if you do 20 seconds of work at 170% of VO2 max followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times."
...still winded.

You're /such/ a geek.

J.B. said...

hmmm.. didn't even cross my mind as odd until you brought it up.
I have no rebuttal.
I yam what I yam.