Thursday, May 8, 2008

Back in the day, when I was young I'm not a kid any more..

Well, you know the song.
Since I don't have any training to log, I guess I'll have to regale you with tales of old.
As a family tradition when it is your birthday in my family you get to pick the place and the whole famn damily goes out to dinner to the place of your choice. When I was 8 (and several years later) I picked a local Mexican joint (mostly for the fried Ice cream). Sometime between being seated, and getting my supper I had to go to the bathroom. I quite literally ran into a man who was coming out of the can. I was always a big kid, none too thin, and this guy was bigger than anyone I'd ever seen (which is saying something as my uncle Stanley was pushing 3 bills at the time). I caught my bearings, and said "Excuse me, sir."
The huge man looked down at me:
"No problem kid... You're a big kid, do you play football?" he asked in a deep baritone.
"No, I can't" I was a little bummed, "I'm too big, they won't let me play."
"Well, don't worry about it, you keep plugging along, and you'll be good one day."
"thanks!"
Puzzling encounter, but I didn't think anything of it, but a couple years later I saw that man on T.V.
It was Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf.
He had just finished up his last season playing football for the Cardinals. Who knows why he was at Casa Gallardo (dinner I'd imagine).
Ten years later I'd have dinner with my prom date at his restaurant.
I don't know why he talked to me, maybe he was trying to see if I recognized him (I didn't).
Funny encounter, but one I don't imagine happening too often these days.
Mahalo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, since you taught me to tackle (stay low, aim for the numbers, wrap it up), and Dan Dierdorf taught you to tackle, does this mean, by the transitive principle of equality, that I actually learned from a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

J.B. said...

Sure, why not.. it's a better story that way anyhow.