Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lions and Grizzly Bears.

I had a very strange dream last night. I was being chased by a bear, a huge Grizzly. One of the few things in this world that I truly fear is stumbling upon a bear out in the woods, but at the same time, I'm infatuated with them. Bears have real personality, power, and style. Above all Bears are survivors. In my dream, the bear kept catching up to me, and I kept escaping only to get cornered or chased down again. At the end of the dream I pulled out my Buck lock-back knife (aka the Bo and Luke Duke knife) that I carry when I'm camping, and killed the bear. It was a moment of triumph and it was a little sad. Remorse and regret that I had been forced to kill something to save my own life.. strange dream.

Today is the "Chinese" new year. The year of the rat. Where I currently work is a mostly Asian workforce, so there will be a "traditional Lion Dance" here today. Should be really cool. I'm excited.
Happy new year.

5 comments:

Code name: 1% said...

I had a weird dream last night too! About all I can remember of mine is yelling a lot and also a disorganized utensil drawer (I don't think I was yelling about the forks being put in wrong, though). Hmpf. I like yours better.

Remind me that if I'm going to camp in bear country that I should bring you along.

J.B. said...

Strangely enough, cutlery prominently featured in both dreams.

Why? do you think you can outrun me?
As my dad once said "Son, I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

Jesse said...

I have to say that's a pretty burly dream. I share your respect for all things ursine--particularly of the polar sort.

A buck knife? Man, that's down toward the bottom of a pretty short list of things I'd want to have in my possession if I were going toe to toe with a grizzly.

Half a head of cabbage would be utterly ineffective against a bear, and, as such, it wouldn't make this specific short list at all.

The buck knife would edge it out.

But barely.

J.B. said...

Don't front on the buck knife. I've had that thing for a while and it and it's kin have served me well for a lot of years.. but yes, a bazooka would have made things a little less.. stressful.

Jesse said...

Make no mistake, JB. I look upon the buck knife, or something comparable, as THE essential backcountry tool and am rarely without one.

I was even once stopped at a security checkpoint on my way to--of all things--jury duty because of the knife I'd forgotten was in my backpack. I had to leave it at the security guard's stand with a claim ticket and felt weird about it.

So I definitely was not hating on the buck knife as a concept. I just live in fear of the day that I have to face down a bear with one.