Friday, April 13, 2007

Double dippin'

I was looking at Msn.com today, which I do from time to time, and I got swept up surfing through several 'weight-loss' articles. Whomever is writing for them is stuck in the 90's. It's all low fat, high carb. Replace the oil in your muffin recipe with applesauce kekeke aren't I cute NONSENSE. It doesn't work. Unless you're an endurance athlete, don't eat like one. If you're not currently in the middle of a 20 mile run, you shouldn't be eating a muffin for breakfast EVER. There is a place and a time for indulgence, and muffins are mighty tasty ones, but that ain't breakfast.

While I'm mid rant, Unless you’re and endurance athlete, don’t train like one either. Why oh why would you ever want to do 45 minutes of cardio when you can do 20 minutes of intervals? I had one of those huge "goddamn that makes more sense than pockets" moments the other day. I was reading an article by Mr. Alwyn Cosgrove on T-nation. He was talking about body fat. It boils down to this: If I lift weights hard and heavy, this challenges my muscles and causes little tears to my muscle tissue. My body, in all its wisdom, responds with more muscle tissue. Seems like a nice logical adaptive response. What a work of art is man... you get the idea. So if I hamster along at 60% heart rate and metabolize as much body fat as I can, what do you think the adaptive response is going to be? Logically the body is going to say "Gee, we seem to be using an awful lot of that stuff, perhaps I should keep more around." This is not to say that you shouldn't exercise, but that exercising at a higher intensity (above the hideously named "fat burning zone") not only burns more calories (due to EPOC) but won't lead your body to create as much adipose tissue. If that made any more sense, I'd have to make sweet sweet love to it. Is it 100% true, I have no idea. It does seem to follow the research, and my personal experience. I've never been as fat as I was when I was running 4-6 miles a day in Chicago, of course it didn't help I was eating here and here a couple times a week. So I’m rolling with it.

And if I ever find the person who writes the articles for MSN I’m going to punch her in the uterus, yup right between the ole bull horns.
Mahalo.

No comments: